Pages

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Rainbow Words

Oh boy....sight words are so difficult for first graders to master!  We all know they are so important for kids to learn because they trip them up so often when reading!  It's hard to explain that to kids and their parents but learning them is essential to reading success.  I was so excited when my teacher bff shared with me Jennifer Jones' Rainbow Words.  If you haven't seen them you must check them out at her Teachers Pay Teachers Store.  Her blog post about this can be found here. 

My students have had amazing success this year and they are so motivated!!!  They can't wait to get to the next color!  I test them each Monday and Friday.  That might not be feasible in a regular classroom setting but it works for me.  It's quick and it has definitely helped!  In January, our first grade teachers created sight word folders and tested the students on each Dolch word list.  Many of them commented on how great my Intervention students did.  Each week after testing we keep track of how many sight words each child know and move stars on a graph to track our way to 100!  The kids set goals and work towards them!  It has been so great involving them in their learning and showing them that hard work pays off!

Don't forget about the Sunday Super sale at TPT!  I've got my cart ready!  Enjoy your weekend!

700SundaySuper

No comments:

Post a Comment